Private Pesticide Applicator License
Private pesticide applicators with a license to purchase and apply restricted use pesticides are required to attend 3 hours of recertification training every 3 years to maintain their license. Private applicator license categories are: Core (basic pesticide handling, application, safety, rules and regulations), 1: Grain and Cereal Field Crops, 2: Forage Crops and Livestock, 3: Fruit and Vegetable Crops, 4: Nursery and Forest Crops, 5: Greenhouse Crops, 6: Fumigation.
Steps to Obtain a License:
1. Obtain study materials from your OSU Extension county office. You can also download some of the materials on the Private Applicator Study Materials page. - NOTE: Please be sure to call your local OSU Extension office before stopping by. This allows the office to make sure they have the materials on hand for when you stop in.
2. Study the recommended materials for Core and each category needed on your license. All new applicators must take Core, and at least one category exam to obtain a license.
3. Send in a completed application form (click for downloadable pdf)and $30 license fee to ODA.
4. Register with the Ohio Department of Agriculture for an exam date and location, register online or by calling the ODA, Pesticide Division at 614-728-6987. (Because of limited space, you may not be able to take the exam if not pre-registered).
5. ODA will mail your test results (and a license application form if you have not already sent one).
6. If not already done, send in the completed application form and $30 license fee to ODA. If you need to retake an exam, there are no additional charges.
$30 License Fees should be paid to:
Ohio Department of Agriculture
8995 E. Main St.
Reynoldsburg, OH 43068-3399
Phone: 614-728-6987 or 800-282-1955.
Fertlizer Applicator License
Who needs a fertilizer certification?
Fertilizer certification is required if you apply fertilizer (other than manure) to more than 50 acres used for agricultural production grown primarily for sale. If you have the co-op or other custom applicator make your fertilizer applications, you do not need the certification.
Recertification Information PAT & FERT
OSU Extension Wayne and Holmes Counties will again collaborate to provide private applicator pesticide recertification and fertilizer applicator recertification. There is a $35 charge for PAT recertification training, $10 for FERT recertification. This is in addition to the $30 that gets sent in to ODA for license renewal. Pre-registration including sending in your $35 pesticide recertification fee is requested to help get you through the sign-in process quicker and to allow us to better plan for number of handout materials. Pre-register by contacting the Holmes County Extension office at 330-674-3015 and providing your name, address and phone number. Make checks payable to OSU Extension and send to the Holmes County Extension office at 75 East Clinton Street, Millersburg OH 44654. A receipt for your payment will be available when you sign in at the program.
Applicators are encouraged to arrive 15 to 20 minutes before the advertised program starting time, to allow for sign-in and picking up handout materials. Please remember to bring your pesticide license with you to the training session.
Recertification Schools for Private Pesticide Applicators in Holmes County: 2019 Schedule
- February 5, 2020 - Farmerstown Auction Barn 2807 State Route 557, Baltic, OH 43804
- No fertilizer recertification training offered this day
- Pesticide Application Recertification training 12:30 to 3:30p.m. categories offered: Core, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
- February 25, 2019 - Mt. Hope Auction Barn 8076 State Route 241, Mt. Hope, OH 44660
- Fertilizer Application Recertification Training 10:30 to 11:30a.m.
- Pesticide Application Recertification 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. categories offered: Core, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
http://pested.osu.edu for more information