CFAES Give Today
OSU Extension

College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences



Click here for regional recertification training opportunities (2023/2024)



Private Pesticide Applicator License

Private pesticide applicators with a license to purchase and apply restricted use pesticides are required to attend 3 hours of recertification training every 3 years to maintain their license.  Private applicator license categories are: Core (basic pesticide handling, application, safety, rules and regulations), 1: Grain and Cereal Field Crops, 2: Forage Crops and Livestock, 3: Fruit and Vegetable Crops, 4: Nursery and Forest Crops, 5: Greenhouse Crops, 6: Fumigation. 

Steps to Obtain a License:

1. Obtain study materials from your OSU Extension county office. You can also download some of the materials on the Private Applicator Study Materials page. - NOTE: Please be sure to call your local OSU Extension office before stopping by. This allows the office to make sure they have the materials on hand for when you stop in.

2. Study the recommended materials for Core and each category needed on your license. All new applicators must take Core, and at least one category exam to obtain a license.

3. Send in a completed application form (click for downloadable pdf) and license fee to ODA.

4. Register with the Ohio Department of Agriculture for an exam date and location, register online or by calling the ODA, Pesticide Division at 614-728-6987. (Because of limited space, you may not be able to take the exam if not pre-registered).


5. ODA will mail your test results (and a license application form if you have not already sent one).

6. If not already done, send in the completed application form and license fee to ODA. If you need to retake an exam, there are no additional charges.

License Fee should be paid to:
Ohio Department of Agriculture
Pesticide Regulation
8995 E. Main St.
Reynoldsburg, OH 43068-3399
Phone: 614-728-6987 or 800-282-1955.

Fertlizer Applicator License

 Who needs a fertilizer certification?

Fertilizer certification is required if you apply fertilizer (other than manure) to more than 50 acres used for agricultural production grown primarily for sale. If you have the co-op or other custom applicator make your fertilizer applications, you do not need the certification.

Steps to Obtain a License